Monday, April 16, 2012

Teapot Love

What is an Yixing teapot, but a direct connection to tea? It’s a vessel within which is infused some of the best tea you've been able to get your hands on. Rinsing the leaves, infusion after infusion, holding onto the knowledge that these leaves are adding to the overall quality of infusions that you will have the opportunity to infuse again and again until, at last, you part with the pot. And, it is in this way that we are all connected to the moment. Again, I get to use this teapot. Oh, how I adore you! You are so good to me. I will take care of you and your walls will enrich my tea. So, the romantic idea of the teapot is born.



What is an Yixing teapot, but the skin of unglazed clay? Fired at high temperatures. My fingerprints will stain you. Wash it off with boiling water. The tea stains it and leaves droplets. Wash it off with boiling water, just for uniformity. Done brewing tea? Make one more infusion, for the pot. Pour it over. Is this staining your pot? My little pot loves this. Do I always do it? No, this is just some playful behavior. Sometimes after heating the pot, and rinsing the leaves, I will use this excess water to wash over the yixing for fun. This teapot will change a lot over time. The more you use it, the better it gets. The more you use it, the more you like it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment